You have an idea and a vision (that’s been approved). How do you go about hiring the right people to complete your mobile project?
First and foremost, you need to decide which platform(s) you would like to build on, and from there, the languages your developers should be fluent in. For example, Apple IOS will be require Objective C; and Android will require Java. You also may want to inquire if they are familiar with other common web languages such as PHP and Ruby as these are the typical languages for building mobile web applications.
Once you have a pool of candidates to choose from, start investigating:
- Do they use services such as GitHub and Bitbucket?
- Are they active in development communities such as GitHub and Stack Overflow (where developers can share ideas, brainstorm problems, learn and ask questions)? This will be an indicator of how immersed they are in the developing world.
- Have they published code?
- It might go without saying, but be sure to ask the candidate if they have written code, and to provide a sample. You could also ask all candidates to take a coding test before proceeding to the next interview stage.
If you’re looking at more of a group project, you may want to look for more specialized technical skills when hiring. Try to assemble a group with a large diversity of skills sets that complement each other to set your project up for success.
If you are conducting a project where a one man team is all you need, ask yourself these questions during interviews to rate your candidates:
- Do they understand your desired project outcome?
- Do they understand the functions of the business?
- Does this person seem tactful?
- Does this person appear responsible; will they be able to meet deadlines?
- Do they openly share their ideas?
- Are they team oriented?
Bridge Pro-Tip: While technical skills are important, interpersonal skills also need to be taken into account. A candidate could have all the technical skills in the world; but if they don’t have the social skills to match, the project could suffer. Make sure to get references in order to verify your initial thoughts.
If you need some hiring guidance, or just don’t have the time, set yourself up for success and reach out to an IT Staffing Firm. Our team of recruiters would be more than happy to learn more about your project and source the best individual(s) for the job. You can contact our team here.